Friday, August 01, 2008

April 9, 2008 Minutes



Meeting held at Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse – Golf Course Drive

Call to order: Christ Blatt called to order at 6:32 pm.

Agenda had been posted earlier.  Copies were available.


Members present:  Chris Blatt, Richard Baldwin, Maureen Burke, Carole Caffey, Dave Caldwell, Scott Glazebrook, Carlos Legerrette, Anita Margolis, Frederick Ruffell, David Skillman, Marie Skillman, Angel Vasconcellos.  Absent: Laurie Burgett.


City Planning Department. Bernie Turgen. Question was raised about the plans for “Gala Foods” at 30th& Grape Street.  A member of the audience stated that escrow is set to close on the property on June 1, and that it was possible that at 24-hour drug store and a “Fresh & Easy” market are planned for the site.  David Skillman reported hearing on the news that “Fresh & Easy” announced a pause in beginning new stores.  Neither Bernie nor the committee had received any information about the project.


Community Police Officer John Graham.  Reminded the committee that the Captain’s Advisory group meets at 25th & Imperial at 5:30 pm.   In response to a question, he stated that the Lomas gang is not gone.  He recommended that committee or community members take pictures of graffiti or other evidence of gang activities and send them to Art Petrea, the officer in charge of keeping files of such materials.  These archives can be used in possible prosecutions.  Questions were raised about weapons activity at 33rd & E Street, and an incident in the alley at 31st Street between A & B Streets.  Officer Graham said that penalties for not cleaning up graffiti on private property are handled by Code Compliance.  14–day letters are sent to property owners.  He passed out pamphlets on “Reporting Disorder & Other Problems”.  This can be downloaded from city website.


District 3.  Jeffrey Tom.  Discussed the graffiti abatement program.  The hotline telephone number is 619-525-8522.  Free paint and brushes are available by calling 619-527-3431.  Toni Atkins’ last State of the District speech will be given on April 24.  Announced that the budget process, including 13 meetings, has begun. Passed out copies of April issue of “The Toni Times”.


District 8, Mayor, 76th Assembly District, 53rd Congressional District:  no reports


Approval of Minutes.  The minutes of the March meeting had just been distributed on April 9 and most committee members had not had the chance to review them.  It was decided not to ask for approval until next month.


Public Comment.  None.


Information Items:

Clean, Green and Safe (MAD) Advisory Board.  Will be holding a meeting at the Golf Course Clubhouse on April 14 at 6:00 pm regarding the budget for 2008-2009.  Regular meeting is April 21 at 6:30 pm.


Housing Commission.  Victoria Joes presented copies of the Annual Action Plan for FY09 to each committee member.  This action plan is the basis for Commission applications for funds from HUD. Victoria pointed out that there is a substantial amendment in the plan relating to Community Development Block Grant funding.  Such requests must now be for $25,000 or more.  This is a result of input from HUD monitors.  The monitors said that administrative costs were too high on smaller projects, unless they are a one-time action or can be completed in one funding cycle.   The last day for comments is May 4; the plan goes before the City Council on May 5.  She urged anyone with comments to direct them to her by telephone, letter or fax. Comments should state what specific project or objective they relate to.






Land Use Subcommittee.  

Information Item:  Dave Caldwell and Scott Glazebrook reported that property managers from 1503 30th Street/ 3006 Beech (Permits #1 PTS 121366 #2 PTS 129408 #3 PTS 141955) would be making another presentation to the subcommittee.  Bernie Turgen from Planning Department is going to follow-up on the permits for that project. Dave asked Bernie to remind the Planning Department staff that this committee should see all plans for projects within the PDO.  



Land Use Subcommittee:

Consent Agenda:  The following 4 items were approved unanimously:  (1) 1625 Felton Street PTS 128529 (2) 2448 A Street PTS127090  (3) 27th & F Streets PTS 132506  (4) 1714 Dale Street – outside PDO.


Letter from City: A letter was received from the city in response to our letter last month regarding tree planting and Tershia d’Elgin.



Membership & Elections.  (Meets as needed) Angela Vasconcellos reported that 2 members are still needed to have a full committee.  Committee assignments were discussed.  Frederick Ruffell asked that each committee describe what they do and when they meet.  The secretary will distribute a list of meeting dates/times.  Carlos Legerrette will make name cards for members to use at the meetings.


Parks. (Meets last Wednesday of odd numbered months, 6 pm, Golf Course Clubhouse) Maureen Burke.  Talked about community garden.


Code Compliance.  (Meets last Wednesday of odd numbered months, Golf Course Clubhouse, meetings not open to public) Chris Blatt. Committee works with compliance officer Lewis Dennis on compliance issues that have been identified. 


Transportation.  (Will be meeting quarterly, no set day at this time)  Scott Glazebrook.


Balboa Park Committee.  Laurie Burgett was absent.


Airport Noise Advisory. (An advisory committee to the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority meets third Thursday of odd numbered months at 5:30 pm at the Commuter Terminal)  Carole Caffey is this committee’s representative now; Dave Caldwell held the position previously.


Historic. (Does not have regularly scheduled meetings at this time)  Angela Vasconcellos said she is now getting mailings from the City about historic reviews in the area.  Richard Baldwin passed around a flyer he had received about the public meeting scheduled on April 18, 2 pm at City Hall regarding changes to the Historic Review process.  Marie Skillman will attend the meeting and report back to the committee. 




Marie Skillman asked when the Community Plan Update process would begin, and whether this committee would have a representative in the process.  Bernie Turgen said the process would begin in July, after the City budget is approved.


New members asked about documents for the current Community Plan and Planned District Ordinance.  These are available on the City website.  Zoning is in Chapter 14.  The PDO is in Chapter 15.


Marie Skillman offered to be the committee secretary for the coming year.  The committee approved this unanimously.


Meeting adjourned at 7:35 pm.












March 12, 2008 minutes

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee: Minutes: March 12, 2008


Meeting held @ Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse- Golf Course Drive


Call to order: Chris Blatt called to order @ 6:30pm.


January Minutes: Approved (Chris Blatt, Richard Barrera, David Skillman, Angela Vasconcellos, Dave Caldwell, Laurie Burgett, Carlos Legerrette, Scott Glazebrook. Opposed (none), Abstained: Maureen Burke, Carole Caffey


February Minutes: Unanimous approval.



-Angela Vasconcellos gave an overview of the election process and eligibility requirements for the committee, and she asked if there were any write-in candidates to be added to the ballot (there were none). Those up for election (and re-election) were asked to say a few words. Richard, Maureen, Anita, David, and Maurice briefly introduced themselves. Angela and Laurie Burgett passed out ballots.


Community Police Officer:

-John Grisham, @ the request of a citizen @ the last meeting, checked out 2673 C St. No formal complaints have been made about the property, and there were no code enforcement concerns. He reminded us to keep an explicit log if we see or suspect disruptive and/or illegal activity. Get license plates w/ dates & times. Digital photos are helpful, too. While there must be criminal activity for the police to take immediate action, they can always run plates to see if a car was stolen and/or owned by a parolee. Civil court remains an option. Leo Wilson (chair of the CPC & Uptown Planning Committee) founded a program called Safe Streets to help citizens w/ problematic neighbors. He took a fellow condo owner to court for selling drugs and successfully forced the dealer out of the complex.

-Captain’s Advisory Committee will be meeting March 25th @ 25th & Imperial @ 5:30pm. Beat officers are rotated every 3 (4?) months. If you want to be promoted as a cop, you don’t stay in 1 position for more than 2 years.

-New Lieutenant: Dawn Summers introduced herself. The best way to reach her is by phone. Her # is: 619-744-9502. Her headquarters is @ 2501 Imperial (had been 1401 Broadway).


District 3:

-Jeffery Tom for Toni Atkins office. Passed out a newsletter. Announced the 95’ pole @ Switzer Canyon is (finally) gone. District 3’s undergrounding is done, and they are now working on taking down additional poles. District 8 is in the process, but they need a lot more easements.  Carole Caffey asked if they have done any emissions measurements since undergrounding, esp. near Albert Einstein. He said it was much better but didn’t have any solid #s.


District 8:

-Diana Jurado-Sainz for Ben Hueso’s office. A middle school girl was followed/ harassed on her way to school, so they’re working on getting addt’l volunteer patrols in the area. Contact Annie Anderson (619-446-1016) if you’re interested.

-Community cleanup- Saturday, March 15th from 7am – 3pm. 1920 E. Street. There will be 2 large bins (so bring your big stuff). No oil or batteries.

-Lights out? Give them a call. They’re working w/ the streets division to get repaired/ replaced promptly.

-Street sweeping: To address the needs of residents, some areas are now 10am-1pm. 28th & 25th switched back to 7am to accommodate commercial interests.

-Getting married! Diana is getting married & will be gone in August. Congratulations all around.

-GGHCDC Mad- contract now completed & in docket office. Should be on city council docket w/in next 2 weeks. Once approved, MAD will be able to start contracting.


City Planner’s Report:

-Miles Pomeroy. City approved the general plan on 3/10/08 (8 years in the making).

-Annual COW May 17th- required for new committee members and encouraged for all others. Metropolitan Waste Water Facility 9192 Topaz Way (1/2 day).

-Swan song: After 4 years of working w/ our committee, Miles is moving on to bigger & better things. Dave stood up and formally thanked Miles for his professionalism, hard work, and sound guidance. Everyone concurred, and Miles was given a big round of applause.

-Bernie Tergen (1 of Mile’s 2 replacements) was introduced. Bernie’s been w/ the department since the early 90s, and he’s also a senior planner. (Marlin Paghenitan, not present) will also be working w/ us. They’re both involved w/ our community plan update (they’re clustering 3 together), and it is a priority. They’re seeking funding now and plan on using consultants in addition to city staff. (Budget appropriations will be in July).


CPC Update:

-Chris Blatt announced the San Diego Taxpayers Association is soliciting nominees for their Golden Fleece Awards. Must submit them by April 4th.


MAD update:

-David Skillman: MAD will be putting up banners soon. Carole asked why trinkets were getting priority over staples. In MAD, money was earmarked specifically for them, & it was an easy place to start. There was a lot of discussion about the impact the MAD will have on city services. Jeffery Tom said they are supposed to supplement, not supplant, our basic services. He offered to help facilitate a discussion to help clarify this issue and will report back in April. It was suggested that the CDC and/ or MAD give a presentation to help clear up the confusion. The MAD committee meets every 3rd Monday @ the Golf Course.


CDC’s MOU w/ GH Community Garden:

 -Rosemary Downing was out of town & unable to attend.


City Council District 3 Candidates:

-Will appear @ a forum Mon, April 7th for questions & to present their platforms @ Christ United Church (on Fir between 30th & Fern).


Land Use:

-Information only items: the 27th & F project is a few months away from presenting, and the concept for the 30th & Broadway site was shown @ the last Land Use meeting.


Action Items:

-Address on consent agenda item 3 was improperly noticed, and it was pulled from the consent agenda and rescheduled for April’s meeting.

-Consent agenda approved. Unanimous.


Public Comment:

-Matt Thomas (1 of 2 partners): Info update from Alchemy Restaurant. They had a fire but are back on track. All of their permits have gone thru. Dave (and others) think project should have come before us for review (exterior elevations/ materials/ offsetting planes), and he’d heard some historical aspects had been stripped. Matt offered to come back in April & discuss restaurant plans again. Dave wanted the project # & project manager’s name for follow up. Universal Boot Shop owns the building. Miles will check status & see if this project is in their system (1503 30th St). Mile’s best guess was that is was a ministerial process, but Dave wondered how that would apply to a project built from the ground up. Per David, 3006 Beech St. is the county assessment # for the same property.


-Tershia d’Elgin: Tershia discussed the letter she’d asked us to endorse/ send to the San Diego Unified School District re: tree maintenance & re-planting in the 32nd Street Canyon, and asked us (if approved) to send it to Tony Rasso w/ a cc to the city. Angela wanted to know if the wall the SDUSD constructed on the site had been part of the environmental review. Tershia explained that the school district didn’t have the design done during the review, but they had told the community they would work w/ the existing topography. The wall, therefore, was a surprise. Tershia  read the letter, and it was unanimously approved.



-Everyone was elected & seated! (New members: Frederick Ruffell, Anita Margolis, and Marie Skillman. Re-elected: Richard Baldwin, Maureen Burke, and David Skillman).



-No report


Code Compliance:

-No report


Balboa Park Committee:

-Laurie Burgett: They’re having their 1st public meeting on a governance model proposed in a massive, recently released report. It’s available on the Balboa Park website, as well as City TV.

-There may have been some trees taken down in the park. Laurie will investigate & report back. The park is removing non-native and sick flora from the 28th Street area & Golden Hill Park. Tim (from the audience) said park & rec hired CCC to do some of the work. They’re going to start planting some good sized oak and another native tree next week. Will they irrigate? Not sure. Irrigation is set up.


Airport Noise:

-Next meeting: March 20th



-No info available yet per Angela.


Meeting adjourned.



June 13, 2007 Minutes


JUNE 13, 2007



Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

Board Meeting

Wednesday, June 13,2007

Golden Hill Golf Course Clubhouse

Present: Chair Chris Blatt;  Steve Stratman; Dave Caldwell; Richard Baldwin;

; Carlos LeGerrette; ; Nora Vargas; John McWilliams;  Scott Glazebrook,

Angela Vasconcellos, Laurie Burgett, Maureen Burke, Richard Barerra and Dana



Chair Blatt called the meeting to order at approximately 6:34 pm.


Treasurers Report: no report.


Community Police Report:  John Graham reported a few shootings to

neighborhoods south of us-all gang related. Discussed graffiti complaints

officer left about a month ago and has not been replaced.

Advised community members to take photos and get a police report. Discussed

recent arrest of STUE-sentenced to 200 hours of community service to paint

out previous graffiti. Reports of homeless persons going through trash.

There are currently two officers assigned to respond to homeless issues.

Clean ups of vagrant areas are being cleaned up.  A community member asked

to discuss psychology of graffiti. Officer Graham indicated that there are

generally 3 categories: taggers, compulsive behavior and gangs.  Advised

community to continue to tag photos-the larger the area-the bigger the crime

it becomes.


District 3-Steve Hill: The Council passed a new budget this week. Budget

cuts have not reduced library hours and the book budget has not been

reduced. 4 neighborhood code compliance officers have been re-instated. They

have 33 million budgeted on street repair and storm drain maintenance. He

will have a more comprehensive break down next month. Advised that the MAD

proposal has been unanimously approved to go to ballot. Council member had

recuse herself as she lives in Golden Hill.



District 8-Diana Juardo-Sainz: No report.


76th Assembly District-Eddie Meyer: No report.


53rd Congressional District-Ricardo Flores: amendment to Armed Services bill

is being addressed.  Updates to enforcement of toll roads in San Onofre.

Congresswoman working on updates on hate crime enforcement. Her office does

not feel strong enough protection. Should be stronger at local levels-not

just federal. The Preuss School was names one of the top 10 schools in

nation. She is working on a bill with Dept of Education for a 100 million

dollar mentoring program.


Mayor:-Tanya Duggan: No report.


Ron Roberts Office:-no one present.


City Planners Report-Myles Pomeroy: COW is scheduled for June 23rd.

Workshop on planning committee operations is set for July 26th. Advised that

600-24 council policy is being revised. The updated shells have been emailed

to the chairs of the groups. By laws update due in November to bring our

bylaws into updated Council policy. If group deviates from shell-it must be

approved and must be submitted by September.


Approval of Minutes-May 2007:-A motion was made to approve the minutes and

was approved with no opposed and one abstention.


Public Comment (non-agenda items):-

Sheila Hardin (CCDC):  Reported that CCDC received an award for their

downtown community plan. They produced 14,800 housing units of which 2,650

were affordable. This amount is more then any other amount in the County.

This created more then 60,000 jobs.

Reported that the City Works at the ends of B Street is part of their long

range plans for 8 new parks.

Community member Tersha provided update on 32nd street canyon task force. 

Also requested that committee take no formal action at the proposed project

at 2864 C Street because there are wetlands located there.

Community member gave a presentation on the property that was recently

purchased of three buildings at Ivy and 30th street. They have plans to

restore them and put in new electrical and bring buildings back to original

condition to be used for commercial space.

Community member Jerry Gray lead a discussion on graffiti in her area of

community.  Steve from District 3 offered to provide assistance.


Mac updated group on upcoming South Park Old House Fair set for June 16.

Bulletin passed around with date of Golden Hill Paint Out being set for June



Golden Hill Plan Update-Myles Pomeroy

Provided a handout and lead discussion on proposed cluster with Golden Hill,

Uptown and North Park. There has been some pressure to get moving on Uptown

and it would be more economical and make sense to include Golden Hill at

same time due to studies that need to be done that are impacted by our area.

Each community will still have their own plan and planning office sees

Golden Hill as an area of stability. The planners need to re-examine land

use designations in relation to current community goals, to strengthen and

enhance historic districts and canyons, as well as preservation.  Need to

evaluate if the plan from 1989 still represents the community goals? The PDO

is important because it implements the community plan and vision. The city

intends to translate the PDO into land development code. Indicated that the

current PDO will be in place until the planning committee is satisfied. Cost

of update estimated at $2.4 million dollars. Would like to begin next winter

2008-2010.  Discussion with committee members of their concerns about

becoming part of a cluster and how that would affect our area current

requirement for developers to come before our committee prior to starting

projects. Myles discussed that each area would have a separate and distinct

community plan for each area and the zones used here would not necessarily

be used in North Park or Uptown.

Kathryn from GGHCDC spoke and advised committee that she believes it should

be supportive because currently not all of Golden Hill is in the PDO and the

land development can get zoning in effect.


GGHCDC MAD Update: Kathryn and Mitch Burner reported that the surveys have

been acted on by the Council who chose to initiate the ballot process. It is

a 45 day period and ballots should be received by home owners with in next

few days. They will be printed by city. The second Council meeting is July

30 and the public hearing. Single Family Residences are going to be between

$6-7 per month. They received 685 total surveys which is 23-24% of total

parcels. 75% voted yes, 25% no and a small percent-3% unsure. Discussion the

committee would be made up of public not private members who are elected

along with one CDC board member. Total budget of $488,000 annually-15 % is

an administration budget and can not have more then 25% in reserve or they

have to stop charging. It would come as part of your property tax bill. Cost

increases are done by the city oversight committee and if they are to be

more then 5% or it would have go to a vote.


Action Items:

Open Space-Steve provided a list of areas in Golden Hill that are affected.

Mac will evaluate to make all in our community are included.


Old House Fair Signups were still needed and Nora passed around a sign up



Airport Noise: No Report


Land Use: No action taken at last meeting.

2759-67 B townhouses-new architect on project-no application has been

presented as of yet.

2424 Broadway-recommendations made for modifications that land use would be

able to support.

2864 C Street-action several months ago-still recommendations that they find

more parking spaces. Vote still stands to recommend project wit the

stipulations previously made and that committee voted on.

3392-94 C Street-small house addition to lot.


Parks and Rec: No Report.


Steve presented his recommendations that he wanted the committee to endorse

with options for the Draft General Plan that included increasing the parking

management fees and hours in community to increase community revenue. There

were some objections from committee members on the issue of charging fees to

residents who do not have off street parking options available to them. The

proposal was amended to read that it should provide consideration for

residents need for adequate and affordable parking. This issue was voted on

and passed 9 in favor and 3 opposed.

Historical: No report.

Membership and Elections-No report.

Code Compliance-No report.

Balboa Park: No report.



The meeting was adjourned by Chair Blatt at approximately 8:50 PM


Respectfully submitted.


Dana Shutt-Mendibles,  recording secretary.



March 13, 2007 MInutes

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

                                             Board Meeting

                                    Wednesday, March 14,2007

                             Balboa Park Golf Curse Clubhouse

Present: Chair Chris Blatt; Marc Kratzschmar; Steve Stratman; Dave Caldwell;

Richard Baldwin; Carole Caffey; Patricia Shields; ; Nora Vargas; John

McWilliams; Rob Leach; Scott Glazebrook, and Dana Shutt-Mendibles


Chair Blatt called the meeting to order at approximately 6:30 pm.


Treasurers Report: $67.43 in account.


Community Police Report:  Two community officers were in attendance for the

meeting.  They referred the community to Ben Hueso’s office for graffiti. A

crew will be out to clean up in approximately a 3 day turn-around. Reported

increase in graffiti activity as two rival gangs in area are feuding.

Encouraged residents to contact police if they have a moniker on their

property. Police will come out and make a crime report. Reported a gang

related stabbing at 30th and Juniper. A homicide occurred in January at 30th

and A streets. They believe they have an ID on the suspect, but no arrest as

of yet.  Reported that staffing for police department is an issue currently.

Advised of code compliance citations that have recently been issued to an

apartment building on B Street. The next Neighborhood Advisory Meeting will

occur on 3/27/2007.


District 3-Steve Hill: The proposed sewer rate increases have been passed by

Council. The water district has offered to come to meeting for another

presentation if requested by committee. Encouraged residents to contact him

with any questions or concerns directly at his office.


District 8-Diana Juardo-Sainz:  A community cleanup is scheduled at the

Japanese Community Christian Church. No hazardous waste, paint or electronic

equipment will be accepted.  The district does have a community partner that

will pickup electronic equipment. There is a memo in process about a

comprehensive community parking evaluation for all of Golden Hill…not just a

street by street evaluation as has occurred in the past. There is also a

study under way to change times of scheduled street sweeping and to address

long term red curb painting. The Graffiti Paint Out for Golden Hill is

scheduled for June 20th. The paint and supplies will be provided for this

one day event. Her office has a goal of 24-72 hour turn around on reports of

graffiti cover up reported to them. Their office has been involved in sting

operations in the district that have turned up over 30 arrests.


76th Assembly District-Eddie Meyer:  Reported on upcoming Neighborhood Watch

Program Events.  Also advised of upcoming community events including a

community clean up in Mission Bay Park, an Electronic Waste Fair on 4/21/07

and a Community Health Fair on 5/12/07. Provided an update on “Crash” house

research. He has sent an email to the Deputy Director for state

certification who has indicated willingness to help answer our questions. He

wants to work with planning committee to gather questions from community

that he can then forward on to this contact.



53rd Congressional District-Ricardo Flores:  Congresswoman will be in town

for a Neighborhood Day in Hillcrest. She is currently working on a bill

regarding Veteran’s eligibility for home loans.  There has been a proposal

from the Post Office to increase postage stamps by three cents.  There is a

stamp being considered that will have a life time value. Referred residents

to post office web site for more information.


Mayor:-Tanya Duggan: Indicated that she is a new representative for Mayor.

She works in District 7,8 and parts of 2. There is currently no rep assigned

to District 3. There had previously only been one community rep for all of

city and her position was recently added. Committee members encouraged Tanya

to attend more meetings and voiced a concern that planning groups had been

ignored previously.  Tanya indicated that Mayor feels it is important to

preserve the historic aspects of our district. She also indicated that Mayor

has indicated one of his goals is to introduce himself to community and

wants a good working relationship with the planning committees. She

encouraged community to attend the Community Dialogue planned for 3/28/07.


Ron Roberts Office:-no one present.


Presentation By GGHCDC: Handouts and outline provided about a proposed

maintenance assessment (MAD) for district. Outlined surveys that had

recently been sent to homeowners to receive input about whether or not

community members would support and how they would like it governed. It is

required that a favorable rate of 30% be obtained in order to consider

additional research.  If 30% received then the city’s assessment engineer

will evaluate the cost of the plan to each individual based on the assessed

value each individual property owner would receive from the plan. A map was

provided that showed the covered areas and which areas would have more

intensity of services and the most frequency. The purpose presented was to

fund services for the community and property owners that can not be provided

by the city. The GGHCDC proposes to elect an entity to over see the handling

and would be a separate committee.  A full presentation is to be presented

to community at the April meeting. The surveys are due in by April 15,2007.


City Planner’s Report-Myles Pomeroy:  At CPC last month the City Attorney 

attended.  A sub-committee has been formed to strengthen the indemnification

ordinance  in case of lawsuit. More details are to come. The next COW for

new members of planning committees will be late April. Myles will send out a

email with updated information.



8 Seats were available. 10 candidates ran for positions. Each candidate

given 2 minutes to tell community and current members why they would like to

be considered for a seat.  The members elected into office: Chris Blatt,

Dave Caldwell, Scott Glazebrook, Marc Kratzschmar, Carlos LeGerrette, Angela

Vasconcellos, Dana Shutt-Mendibles,  and Laurie Burgett. 39 ballots were




Public Comment (non-agenda items):-

Sheila Hardin (CCDC): Discussed new projects in the works for parks,

waterfront, Navy Broadway Complex, Tweet Street Park. A bridge is going to

be built to connect downtown to Balboa Park across 163 freeway. Asked  for

community  feedback on issues that are important to them? Among responses

were parking, homeless people, concentration of weekly/monthly living


number of sex offenders ending up in Downtown region when released,

affordable eating establishment, requests for more open discussions about

status of Navy Broadway project and more residence oriented businesses in

the Gaslamp area.

Hal Tyvoll:  Presented a memo to the committee and discussed his concerns

about the proposed assessment district.  He outlined the municipal codes, 

the areas of the California constitution and Prop 218 to highlight his



Approval of Minutes-March 2007:-A motion was made to approve the minutes and

was approved with no opposed and one abstention.


Action Items:

Open Space-no report

Property on C Street in 32nd street canyon: Marc read the letter he had

prepared to request that since the school district wishes to sell their

land, consideration should be taken by the Mayor to obtain this land due to

the importance this area has to the community.  A vote was taken and all

were in favor of the letter being sent. Committee then discussed that 32nd

street canyon is not a formal name or place but is an area that also

contains streets and lots that are privately owned parcels

Parks Report: Mac led a discussion about the difference between Designated

and Dedicated open space.  He is concerned about the Councils intention to

keep open space designated as such. None of the 32nd street canyon is

currently “dedicated”.  Steve Hill from District 3 indicated that there is a

proposed bill (SB373) being presented by Christine Kehoe that would move all

“designated” land to become “dedicated”.  This would move all city owned

lane to the state.

Committee will draft a letter to supporting this motion. Committee

questioned if this change will have any effect on eminent domain issues with

school district.

Balboa Park: Laurie gave a report on the surge in homeless in the canyons

and parks. The city has been cutting down more weeds and bushes in park and

Golden Hill park to help. A question came up about a new parking structure

for 200 vehicles. Laurie has not heard an update on this and will look into.

  Discussion about status of turning city maintenance yard into overflow

parking for the zoo.  The CCDC would like to be involved in updating this

area and possibly turning it into park area. Steve Hill indicated that the

CCDC has money in their budget to improve this area but the city would need

to be able to move what is currently there.  Dave discussed moving the yard

to the Chollas Creek facility. Laurie indicates there are sophisticated

problems in moving the computer systems currently located in the maintenance

yard.  The city centennial is 2015 and is the goal for something to be done

in time for this.  Some estimates are that it would take over 37 million

dollars to move the facility and this is not part of the city budget. 

Laurie also discussed a study in process to turn over the running of Balboa

park to a private entity due to city’s problems running it.


Historic: Mac advised that there are currently 4 houses up for historical

designation in our area. The hearing will be later in the month.


The meeting was adjourned by Chair Blatt at approximately 8:40PM.