Monday, February 14, 2011

January 12, 2011 Minutes

GREATER GOLDEN HILL PLANNING COMMITTEE MINUTES

January 12, 2011

Meeting Agenda is found in Attachment 1 at the end of these minutes.

Meeting was held at Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse – Golf Course Drive. Called to order at 6:34 pm by Chair Pat Shields. Agenda had been posted in accordance with Brown Act. A quorum of members was present.

Members present: Ruchell Alvarez, Richard Baldwin, Maureen Burke, Carole Caffey, Scott Glazebrook, John Kroll, Barbara McGill, Richard Santini, Pat Shields, David Skillman, Marie Skillman, David Strickland, Angela Vasconcellos, Jessica Wolf Members absent: none

Addition/deletions to Agenda none

Chair’s Report. None

Approval of Minutes: Minutes of 9/8/10 meeting were approved (all in favor; Glazebrook abstained) Minutes of 10/13/10 meeting were approved (all in favor; D Skillman, M Skillman, J Wolf abstained) Minutes of 11/10/10 meeting were approved (all in favor; Kroll and Wolf abstained) Approval of minutes of 12/8/10 meeting was postponed until the next meeting as Shields wanted to review again before approving.

Treasurer’s Report: – still about $75. Shields asked Caffey to find out how we might gain access to the funds. . A “pass the hat” was taken for the clubhouse staff member who keeps the building open for our use.

GOVERNMENTAL REPORTS.

Community Police Officer- Suzy de la Pena: There has been a rash of iPods and iPads being stolen on the trolley. Shields asked if DUI tickets being issued was a good thing. De la Pena said they are useful for driver safety issues and also help reduce speeding. Caffey asked about the shooting near Millers Market where 2 were killed. De la Pena said the shooter is still at large. Captains meeting is 1/25/11 at 5:30 at 25th & Imperial.

City Council District 3 - Anthony Bernal: Distributed January issue of District 3 Dialogue and highlighted: reporting potholes, please let office know if they are not addressed within 3 days. Pedestrian ramps are being installed at A Street and Fern. Caffey called the council office because she noted that scoring was not matching the existing concrete. The situation will be corrected. Vasconcellos said the same thing happened on her block. Bernal asked to be notified if this happens again. State of the District address will be Tuesday, 1/25/11 at 6:30 pm at the Birch North Park Theater. Community Coffee with Councilman Gloria will be Saturday, 2/12/11 from 10-11:30 AM at Alchemy. Jerry Ray suggested that when your pothole gets fixed, call and thank the city crew.

City Council District 8 – Melina Meza: Arrived later after attending the Hwy 94 Scoping Meeting. Councilman Alvarez has sent a letter to the project manager stating his concerns about the project including EIR, eminent domain issues, and sound walls being moved

Mayor’s Office – no representative present.

53rd Congressional District – Kathryn Fortner. Distributed January issue of Davis Dispatch. It recaps legislation from old Congress and hopes for the new one. Noted that despite several conversations with officials, the Post Office at 27th & C Street will be closing 2/18/11. Davis is saddened by events in Tuscon. Had a telephone town hall about senior health care. Kroll suggested that calls inviting us to these town halls state the topic to be discussed.

PUBLIC COMMENT.

Matt Thomas, South Park Community Group. A meeting relating to the Community Plan Update will be held on Saturday, 1/15/11 from 9:30 – 11:30 at the Polish American Hall. The SPCG will present the work they have done on Update, followed by a workshop asking community input.

Tershia D’Elgin, Friends of 32nd Street Canyon. A tree-planting event will be held on Saturday, 1/15/11 at 8 AM in 32nd Street Canyon, everyone is welcome to come and help.

Christian Chaffee, San Diego Historical Street Cars. One of the historical street cards will be on display at the Calendar Antique Show at Del Mar Fair Grounds 1/22-24/11. His group wants to bring these back to our neighborhood.

Maureen Burke. Is advocating a cap over Hwy 94 between 22nd & 25th Street for use as a public park. She has attended the 25th Street project meeting and the Hwy 94 Scoping meeting. She learned that the way to assure this happening is to make it part of the Freeway Agreement, and suggests letting our City Council representatives know how we feel about this. She feels it would be helpful to have GGHPC write a letter of support.

Shields said she would like a joint letter with planning group from Southeast San Diego. Bernal said he would get Shields the contact information for the group that worked on the cap over Hwy 15. Caffey said Kathryn Willets had some mockups of this idea which has been proposed before. David Swarrens said that the cap is part of the Sherman Heights Revitalization Plan.

Pat Shields. Asked community members in attendance to be sure to put their email address on the sign-in sheet, so they will be “in the loop” on Committee activity and events.

Carole Caffey. Pedro Anaya is working with the YET Center on some expansion plans. Contact Caffey for further details.

CONSENT AGENDA. NONE. Land-Use Subcommittee did not meet in December

INFORMATION ITEMS.

25th Street Renaissance Project. No representative was present.

Project # 227526 “You Are Here” Mixed Use Project at 811 25th Street. Mike Burnett and Greg Avenilla of Foundation for Form architects introduced themselves. They designed the MDX830 project and have offices there. They showed a PowerPoint show about their proposed project.

"You Are Here “ project is for the parcel where an auto repair shop currently exists, at 811 25th Street (NE corner of 25th Street and Hwy. 94). Burnett described this as a Gateway Location, noting the Hwy 94 off-ramp, with an gas station and the MDX80 project on NW side. The location was originally a gas station but the tanks have been removed and required remediation already completed.

The goals of this project are to (1) remove some of the curb cuts and have parking off the alley (2) keep the existing building and work around it with a pedestrian plaza under the canopies (3) surround the existing building with U-shaped series of buildings, creating a “Main Street” feeling with courtyard areas (4) make the existing dead end of F Street into a pocket park.

Comments:

Santini questioned the appropriateness of the design. D Skillman noted that the design shown is awfully angular and might not fit with the existing church to the North. Kroll asked if they owned the property – Burnett said it is in escrow. Ben Nichols asked what kind of tenants they anticipate – Burnett expects newer active businesses, they want to provide a neighborhood-serving affordable business location.

Lisa Vela thinks the idea is great, likes the affordable aspect and Hwy 94 access. She stated that MDX830 is a welcoming space and a creative environment with a fresh look. Shields asked if a height variance would be needed – Burnett said they are waiting for initial City Planning Department comments. Caffey does not like the modern design and does not think that it fits the neighborhood, but loves the concept.

M Skillman asked how much housing would be included. Burnett said there will be 5,000 sq ft of commercial space with 22 residential units. 2 units will be affordable housing. Using the density bonus they could have up to 27 units but only 22 are planned.

Strickland likes the concept, likes preserving the existing building. He wants to see a Gateway not a building fa├žade when coming up 25th Street. He said the design reminds him of East Village; probably not right for our neighborhood without some softening. Shields noted that the context of the 1960’s is not good for those who remember how the community was affected in those years with the freeway construction.

Swarrens thinks the relationship with neighbors (wall vs. gateway) needs to be addressed. Vela said the neighborhood has many commercial buildings in the 50-60’s style and we don’t need to get stuck with using residential styles everywhere. D Skillman suggested putting the Golden Hill round logo into the circular opening in the existing building. Burke does not want to compromise on the design.

Cheryl Bryerton does not think the conceptual design ties in with the community. An audience member wondered if the “Gateway” is being addressed by the 25th Street Renaissance project - Burnett said changes to the entrance to the property would be provided. Lauren asked about a timeline - Burnett said escrow closes in a month: with neighborhood permits they could begin construction in the fall of 2011.

Nichols likes the Counterpoint (MDX830) building and its enthusiasm. He thinks a modern design can work in this location. An audience member said MDX830 feels integrated and thinks this project shares that quality. Alvarez thinks the project is thoughtful and effective use. She said the architecture is new; maybe everything can’t stay old. Burnett noted that all decades are represented in the architecture on 25th Street, and his tenants want a new, fresh space.

Shields asked what the next step is. Glazebrook said the project must go through the Land Use Subcommittee. Shields wondered if could hold all discussions on the project in the Committee of the Whole. Burnett said he would prefer to go before the Land Use Subcommittee at its meeting on 1/26/11. He hopes to have initial input back from City Planning by then.

Burnett will come to the February GGHPC meeting with an update. Caffey thanked Burnett and Avenilla for soliciting Committee input.

Annual Elections. Glazebrook has moved out of Greater Golden Hill and is no longer eligible to be a GGHPC member. He said he will still be available for advise.

Vasconcellous said there are currently 3 vacancies on the Committee. She will send out an updated roster, indicating which members are up for re-election in March. Those intending to run again must notify her at the February meeting, as should community members seeking election.

Shields said she wanted to do the Subcommittee assignments at the March meeting, immediately after elections are held. It was suggested that the Transportation Subcommittee be tasked with handling issues on the Hwy 94 upgrade.

ACTION ITEMS. none

SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS.

Community Plan Update Advisory Committee. City Planner Bernie Turgeon. CPUAC had a meeting on 1/5/11 regarding economic context. There were some questions about the data used, and some parts of the presentation are being revised, using GGH data only, not all of 92102. He will notify us when they are put online.

The next meeting will be Wednesday, 2/2/11, 6:30 pm at Golf Course Clubhouse. Monthly meetings are anticipated through June.

A matrix of comments from the first 5 CPUAC meetings has been created, with a section for prioritizing them. CPUAC members are asked to complete this before the 2/2/11 meeting. A second matrix of charette comments will be forthcoming, as well as the current Community Plan in an easy to used word document for CPUAC use in the revision process.

Pedro Anaya is no longer with Greater Golden Hill CDC so his place on CPUAC is vacant. That vacancy and any others identified will be addressed at the March meeting. Turgeon has contacted CPUAC members who have not been attending meetings regularly to find out if they still want to be on the committee. At the 1/5/11 meeting, a quorum was not present.

The Draft version of the Updated Community Plan is due by June 30, which is when funding currently in place ends. At the 1/5/11 meeting, Bill Anderson, head of Development Services, said he was hopeful that funding would be available to complete the Updates already in process; no new Updates are being started due to the City’s financial issues.

M Skillman noted that, under the Brown Act, a quorum of CPUAC members should not be in attendance at the SPGC meeting that Matt Thomas announced. Those planning to attend said they would be aware of that rule.

Clean Green and Safe MAD –Carole Caffey. Anaya’s position at GGHCDC is not being replaced. Ben Verdugo is the new Program Manager for the MAD, he started 1/1/11. Statistical reports about the MAD are posted on the GGHCDC website. Outstanding items are planters @ $25,000. Harvest Landscaping is doing well with the maintenance.

Airport Noise. Advisory committee meets 1/19/11, 4-5:40 pm at Commuter Terminal.

Parks. A new community garden has opened in Mt. Hope neighborhood. City Council approved use of city property for community gardens in redevelopment areas.

The next meeting will be WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2011

Meeting adjourned by Shields at 8:35 pm

Marie Skillman.

Secretary

ATTACHMENT 1. MEETING AGENDA

GREATER GOLDEN HILL PLANNING COMMITTEE

January 12, 2011 at 6:30 P.M.

Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

http://www.gghpc.blogspot.com

Monthly Meeting

6:30 CALL TO ORDER – please be punctual

1. Additions/Deletions to Agenda

2. Approval of Minutes

3. Treasurers Report & Pass-the-Hat – Carole Caffey

6:40 GOVERNMENTAL REPORTS

a) Community Police Officer – Suzy de la Pena [744.9514 or sdelapena@pd.sandiego.gov

]

b) Council District 3 – Anthony Bernal [236-6633 or abernal@sandiego.gov

]

c) Council District 8 – Melinda Meza [236-6688]

d) Mayor’s Office – Denice Garcia [236-7056 or deniceg@sandiego.gov

]

e) 53rd Congressional Dist. – Katherine Fortner [280-5353 Katherine.Fortner@mail.house.gov

]

f) City Planner – Bernard Turgeon [533-6575 or bturgeon@sandiego.gov

]

7:00 PUBLIC COMMENT – non-agenda items, 3-minute limit

7:15 CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda allows the Committee to consent to the actions of Subcommittees in a single vote without presentation or debate. NONE

7:20 INFORMATION ITEMS

- “You Are Here” - Mixed Use. 811 25th Street. Mike Burnett

Project #227526. Contact: Mike@foundationforform.com

- 25TH Street Renaissance Project- Update. Brian Hannegan

- Annual Elections. March 9, 2011. Determine number of vacancies.

8:15 ACTION ITEMS: NONE

8:25 SUBCOMMITTEE & LIAISON REPORTS

a) Airport Noise – Carole Caffey

b) Balboa Park Committee – Scott Glazebrook

c) Community Planners Committee (CPC) – Pat Shields

d) Community Plan Update Advisory Committee (CPUAC) – Bernard Turgeon

e) Code Compliance – Ruchell Alvarez

f) Clean, Green & Safe (MAD) Advisory Board – Carole Caffey

g) Historic – Angela Vasconcellos

h) Membership and Elections – Angela Vasconcellos

i) Parks – Maureen Burke

j) Transportation – Scott Glazebrook

8:30 ADJOURN MEETING

*Times are estimates – Action Items may also be taken before Information Items

The City of San Diego distributes agendas via email and can also provide agendas in alternative formats as well as a sign language or oral interpreter for the meeting with advance notice. To request these services, please contact the City at 619-236-6479 or SDPlanningGroups@sandiego.gov

.ADDENDA

Regular Meeting Schedules

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

Monthly*: Second Wednesday of the Month at 6:30PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Code Compliance Subcommittee

Monthly*: Second-to-Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:00PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Land-Use Subcommittee

Monthly*: Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:30PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Transportation Subcommittee

Monthly*: Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:00PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

* Traditionally there are no meetings in the month of December

Proposed Agenda Topics for Next Meetings

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

Items: None

Code Compliance Subcommittee

Items: None

Land-Use Subcommittee

Items:

Transportation Subcommittee

Items: None