GREATER GOLDEN HILL PLANNING COMMITTEE MINUTES
November 11, 2009
Meeting held at Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse – Golf Course Drive
Call to order at 6:37 pm by Chair C. Blatt. Agenda had been posted in accordance with Brown Act.
Members present: Ruchell Alvarez, Chris Blatt, Dave Caldwell, Scott Glazebrook, Frederick Ruffell, Pat Shields (began committee membership at this meeting), David Skillman, Marie Skillman, Angela Vasconcellos. Members absent: Richard Baldwin, Laurie Burgett, Maureen Burke, Carole Caffey, Anita Margolis, Richard Santini
Addition to agenda: Vasconcellos made a motion that Pat Shields be made part of the GGHPC, filling one of the vacant seats. Shields, who has attended the required 3 meetings, stated that she had previously been a GGHPC member for a number of years and wanted to bring that perspective, plus her history with the CPC, to the board. D Skillman seconded the motion. All voted in favor.
Community Police Officer, City Council District 3, City Council District 8, 53rd Congressional District, Mayor; 76th Assembly District: no reports
City Planner’s Report - Bernie Turgeon:
Community Plan Update Advisory Committee (CPUAC) kickoff meeting was held Wednesday, November 4. Attendees provided excellent feedback and discussion of the process and the individual elements that make up the current plan.
City staff and consultants (Collaborative Services) will be assembling a Self Guided Walking Tour of the planning district based upon images provided by community members. These images are to be submitted by 12/4/09. They can be submitted digitally or disposable cameras are available. Once assembled, this will be on City website. Upcoming events: January: CPUAC meeting 1/6/10, location TBA. February: CPUAC meeting, probably 2/3/10; community workshop. March: Cluster meeting with North Park and Uptown CPUAC
M. Skillman briefly described the Historic Resources Survey that will be part of the CPU, and that volunteers are needed to help with this process. She distributed contact information for this and also for submitting images for the Self Guided Walking Tour – see Attachment 1.
Discussion: There was considerable discussion about the images being gathered. What is wanted are photos showing examples of community conditions, both good and bad. They should be identified as to location and description of why they are important. This is the City’s way of getting input from many people. Wish List ideas changes wanted in the community can be submitted as well. D. Skillman asked if zoning and other legal changes are up for integration into the new Community Plan (CP). Turgeon said City is looking for lots of input, existing land used and zoning are on the table. Caldwell asked about a streamlined process for calculating maximum units allowed in a multi-use project. Turgeon said these are the kinds of things that City wants to fine-tune. Urban design elements are to be reviewed, including implementation. Caldwell asked Turgeon and Glazebrook whether, when looking at development in a neighborhood, a Planned District Ordinance (PDO) or an Overlay zone was easier to work with. Glazebrook said much depends on the area and the number of Overlays; PDO is not more difficult. Ruffell said that Overlays are a newer technique and often better written and indexed. Turgeon noted that a CP Overlay Zone has a connection to the CP elements and corresponding zoning. D. Skillman summarized that a PDO tends to be written as a narrative while an Overlay is more of an outline. Our situation would involve many kinds of Overlays (such as Historic, Transportation, Density)
Approval of Minutes: Approved minutes of 10/14/09 meeting (motion Vasconcellos, second D. Skillman) all in favor. (Ruffell, Glazebrook abstained)
Joyce Summer, CCDC: CCDC is strapped for cash, like the rest of City budget. $384 million of development funds remain with 40% or less of downtown projects completed. CCDC is working with the community groups in their area to see that future planning is coordinated to make the best use of funds. Plans for parks and fire stations may come before the No. Embarcadaro Project. A Historic District on 17th Street is being discussed; it could include moving homes from 14th Street. A park at 3rd and Beech is a few years away. An RFP for Master Plan has been issued. A 2-block SuperPark will take 4 years to implement; it may include development around Jerome’s Warehouse area. City is again talking with Chargers. Medical Marijuana Task Force will be reporting soon. Flyers were distributed about the next CCDC coffee on 12/4/09; Sound Bites on 12/1/09 will feature the new Fire Chief Javier Mainair.
Chairs Report/Mail. Nothing to report.
Land Use – Dave Caldwell: Meeting was combined with City Budget meeting – nobody appeared.
Clean Green and Safe MAD: Caffey was absent so Blatt asked D. Skillman to give the report. He reported that the Judge’s decision on lawsuit may be issued by the end of the week. He noted that November was his (and Blatt’s) last meeting as a member of MAD Oversight Committee (OC) since OC membership is going to be by appointments by CDC. OC members elected by taxpayers in 2007 are being replaced. 10 of the members are to be replaced at this time. Their replacements will fill terms beginning in December: 5 for 3 years and 5 for 2 years. Members currently holding the remaining 5 seats on the board will be replaced next year.
Alvarez was selected at GGHPC October meeting to be part of the nominating committee for the MAD OC appointments. She reported that Pedro Anaya, CDC director, had notified her one day before the nominating committee was to meet that he “had to find an alternate from another community group” since he had been unable to make contact with her. Alvarez wishes to be part of the process. She was urged to contact Anaya at CDC to determine if this was a permanent replacement or only for that particular meeting, and to let the other GGHPC members know if she was not reinstated.
Shields noted that the public needs to be alert to instances where CDC or City may not be following all rules and regulations properly.
D. Skillman continued his report on the November OC meeting. Items discussed included: (1) appropriateness and accuracy of statements relating to CDC operation of MAD posted by an OC member on her private blog (2) Urban Corps report (3) nothing new on sidewalk repair project (4) preparation of financial reports (spreadsheet vs. accounting system reports) (5) whether CDC’s liability insurance covers OC members, since the City’s does not.
Post Office - Tershia D’Elgin as not present, no action taken. M. Skillman reported that an employee at another Post Office seemed sure George Washington was going to be closed.
Membership and Elections: Vasconcellos reported that we still have vacancies. She will send an updated roster to everyone this month.
Transportation: nothing to report
Airport Noise. Parks: no reports
Balboa Park: Task force on park governance meets 10/16 at 6 pm at Santa Fe Room. See balboapark.com for details
Historic: no report.
GGHPC will NOT meet in December.
The next meeting will be January 13, 2010.
Meeting adjourned by chair at 7:45 pm.
UPDATE CLUSTER HISTORIC RESOURCES SURVEYS:
TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS ON POTENTIAL HISTORIC RESOURCES TO THE CITY:
TO VOLUNTEER HELP WITH THE HISTORIC RESOURCES SURVEY
CLICK ON “INTEREST FORM: HISTORIC RESOURCE SURVEY”
FOR MORE DETAILS CONTACT Jennifer Hirsch 619-533-4543 email@example.com
DOCUMENTING EXISTING CONDITIONS THROUGH IMAGES
CONSULTANTS COLLABORATIVE SERVICES IS COLLECTING IMAGES SHOWING:
COMMUNITY IDENTITY, SOURCES OF PRIDE, AREAS OF INTEREST OR
CONCERN, AREAS NEEDING PRESERVATION OR PROTECTION, OR “WISH LIST”
MAP AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMISSIONS (MAILED PHOTOS OR EMAILED DIGITAL IMAGES)
CLICK ON “MAP & WORKSHEET FOR DOCUMENTING COMMUNITY IMAGES”
FOR MORE DETAILS CONTACT LukeH@CollaborativeServices.biz