Thursday, September 09, 2010

August 11, 2010 Minutes


AUGUST 11, 2010

Meeting Agenda is found in Attachment 1 at the end of these minutes.

Meeting was held at Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse – Golf Course Drive. Called to order at 6:30 pm by Chair Pat Shields. Agenda had been posted in accordance with Brown Act. A quorum of members was present.

Members present: Richard Baldwin, Carole Caffey, Scott Glazebrook, John Kroll, Pat Shields, Richard Santini, David Skillman, Marie Skillman Members absent: Ruchell Alvarez, Maureen Burke, Anita Margolis, Jessica Richter, David Strickland, Angela Vasconcellos

Addition/deletions to Agenda none

Shields introduced Barbara McGill, who is interested in appointment to the Committee to fill one of the two vacancies. This is Barbara’s second time to attend during the past 12 months.

Approval of Minutes: Approved minutes of 7/14/10 meeting. (Motion Glazebrook, second D Skillman, all in favor; Santini, Baldwin, Caffey abstained)

Treasurer’s Report: – around $75.


Community Police Officer- Suzy de la Pena: Circulated a composite sketch of the suspect in an attempted rape in a home near 31st & Hawthorne. Described a pilot project called Secure San Diego, which would give the police access to IP addresses for video.

City Council District 3 - Anthony Bernal: Passed out copies of the August District 3 Dialogue and highlighted Reform Before Revenue proposal. Councilman Gloria will host a community coffee on 8/14, 11-12:30 at Grants Marketplace. On 8/12, Gloria will participate in ribbon cutting for new playground equipment at Montclair Park

City Council District 8 – Diana Jurado-Sainz: was not present.

Mayor’s Office – no representative present.

53rd Congressional District – Kathryn Fortner. Davis attended special session where HR1586 was passed, which will provide funds for hiring additional teachers and increasing Medicaid payments to states. Davis will be in San Diego during August recess. She met with small business owners from South Park on 8/2, and will be attending the GGH CDC Gala on 8/22. Joyce Summer asked about Medicare not covering PSA tests. Shields invited Davis to attend a GGHPC meeting, possibly in October


Joyce Summer, CCDC: Passed out copies of the new Affordable Housing brochure. On 8/24, there will be a ceremony dedicating the Downtown Information Center to Sheila Hardin. Groundbreaking for Quiet Zone (train signals) will be 8/19. The proposed homeless intake center will go before the full council in September. Kroll read part of a letter from Councilman Falcouner regarding the council vote on extending the CCDC spending cap, questioning whether tax increment financing from redevelopment area downtown could be used for housing for the homeless or low-income housing outside the project area. (It can.) Kroll questioned what happens to the increment funds if the cap is not lifted. Discussion at an earlier meeting indicated that they go to the state. Kroll stated that if the funds stay in San Diego, they are used by CCDC; if they go to the state, they are used for schools.

David Skillman: CPUAC met on 8/4 to discuss the charette and future work of the CPUAC. Another meeting is scheduled for 8/24, at the Golden Hill Rec Center, 6:30 pm. Public comments for the meeting should be addressed to Bernie Turgeon at the City.

Marie Skillman: Recirculated the letter of thanks to Laurie Burgett; original was lost before getting into the mail.


Water Purification Demonstration Project. Kathy Pieroni and Jeff Pasek of the City Utilities Department were present. They passed out a fact sheet about the project, Water For Tomorrow publication from National Geographic, and notes for their presentation. Pieroni noted that 76% of San Diego’s water is imported, either from the Colorado River or the California Water Project.

Although San Diegans are using 11% less water than they did before the mandatory rationing, this will not solve the future water needs of the region. Our imported water costs are quite low, because the plans were put into place years ago. The costs are now increasing, 7.5% each of the past two years, and could double by 2020 because new sources of water are expensive.

San Diego has a 3-Phase Water Reuse Plan in place. (1) A study was done in 2004. (2) A demonstration project is being done for Reservoir Augmentation. (RA) (3) If the demonstration goes well, the Full Scale Reservoir Augmentation will be done.

In the demonstration RA project, water from purification plants in North County will be pumped into San Vicente reservoir, where it goes into the regular water system. There is a 7-step purification process, which has proved effective in Orange County.

RA requires pumping water from the purification plant to the reservoir, but does not require a dual delivery system to each home; all water delivered to the home is purified. This makes economic sense for established neighborhoods. New neighborhoods are putting dual delivery systems in (regular pipe plus purple pipe) so that customers receive two types of water.

If fully implemented, RA could provide 8% of San Diego’s water. This would be a locally controlled water source and would use less energy than current delivery from CO River and CA Water Project.

The demonstration project will end in 2012; at that time results will be analyzed to determine if it is a good fit for San Diego.


-With the multi-barrier steps put in place with RA, would our water be cleaner than it is now? Yes.

-Compare the price for this water to imported water. In 2009, imported water cost $800/acre foot; this cost is projected to increase to $2,000/acre foot in the next few years. RA would cost $1,600/acre foot.

-What is the difference in carbon footprint? A 2005 study showed desalinated water has the highest carbon footprint. RA is #4 on the list.

-Will the filtering handle molecules small enough to rid the water of traces of drugs? City is aware of this issue and is working on it. Ultra-violet lights will catch what passes through reverse osmosis. In the end, this RA water will be cleaner than our current water.

-Why is City selling water to Otay Water District when we are short here? OWD is closer to the Otay purification plant, so water does not have to be transported so far. In addition, many of the new housing areas in Otay area have the dual delivery system, so they are ready to use the purified water. Also selling this recycled water helps the City reduce its discharge into the ocean.

-Who is funding this demonstration project? $11.6 million cost is being collected through water rate increase, which will end when the project ends in 2012.

-Couldn’t we just get more water from Metropolitan Water District? No. Allocations are mandatory and were all cut back 8% last year, with no chance of being reversed in the foreseeable future.

-What about areas that get water from MWD but do not meter it? Senator Kehoe sponsored legislation requiring all water districts to be metered. This should result in more fair allocations.

-What about low-water plants? City has resources to help residents plan for this.

South Park Business Group. Matt Thomas was present, representing the SPBG subcommittee that has been working on ideas for the Community Plan Update. Thomas explained that this group has been meeting for several months, after being pushed into action by D. Skillman. Nancy Sherman and 5-6 others began by looking at the current CP and PDO and determining what they like and what needs improvement. Marc Steele, one of the City consultants for CPU is working with them now, and they are doing outreach to the community.

Ideas they considered:

(1) Character of community

(a) Historical (b) family oriented (c) diverse (d) all kinds of housing

(2) Transportation plans. (a) Bicycle. They have a detailed plan, capitalizing on the fact that South Park has 3 bike shops. Concentrating on routes downtown via C Street, 28th to Beech, 2 routes (30th & Fern) to Juniper and beyond. They are working on signage: sharrows are the least intrusive, plus a signs. Also interested in signs telling how to get downtown and in & out of the neighborhood. They are modifying the bike plan shown in the current CP to meet current conditions.

Thomas said the group has many other ideas, and will come back in September with another presentation.

Shields reported that some of the CPUAC members from Uptown, Mission Hills area had hired a consultant privately to create a CP for that area. She will try to get a representative from that group to speak at GGHPC in September.

Caffey said she thought that too much CPUAC business was being brought before the GGHPC. Shields said the GGHPC meetings are a public forum and thinks we need to get as much information out as possible. M. Skillman noted that GGHPC elected a CPUAC subcommittee to work on the CPU, unlike North Park and Uptown, where the CPUAC includes the entire planning committee plus community members. Ad Hoc meetings were discussed. Glazebrook and D. Skillman both stated that they don’t mind these speakers at GGHPC, if GGHPC agenda allows the time. Kroll wondered if SPBG and Mission Hills speakers in September could address similar issues in an A/B format.

CPUAC/ City Planner’s Report - Bernie Turgeon:

Turgeon asked about vacancies on GGHPC and CPUAC. Currently there are 2 vacancies on GGHPC (with one person seeking appointment) and no vacancies on CPUAC.

CPUAC had an Ad Hoc meeting on 8/4, regarding dates and content for Charette. 10/9 and 10/23 are dates for Charette (8:30 am – 2 pm) with a possible weeknight meeting (3 hrs) between. Locations are yet to be determined; leaning toward GH Elementary, because it has parking. Use of Einstein might be better for public transportation. The Charette will be organized around the Elements in the CP. Shields is concerned about outreach to the entire community about these meetings.

Another Ad Hoc CPUAC meeting is scheduled for 8/24, 6:30 pm at Golden Hill Rec Center. For this meeting, a more structured agenda is planned, regarding structure of the Charette. Priorities need to be set because not every topic can be covered. The current idea is for the Charette to include stations of interest. The current CP has 11 elements, which need to be reconfigured along the lines of the General Plan. That will be part of the 8/24 agenda. Shields asked that the agenda for 8/24 be more structured so the work can get done.

D Skillman wondered if another Ad Hoc meeting could be schedule for September. Turgeon said there is no limit on number of meetings, and post-Charette the structure and timing of the CPUAC meetings can be set to meet CPUAC desires.

D Skillman asked if the plan rewrite by the City would be orderly, by element. Turgeon said would.

CPUAC members could spend time on elements they are specifically interested in; although the City hopes everyone is interested in all of the elements. D Skillman said that CPUAC members would need materials in advance to be most efficient.

Turgeon said the City has no objection to CPUAC budget for producing and mailing the informational flyer that he, Kroll, Shields and D Skillman have been working on. Outreach budget may have funds available. Once City signs off on the flyer, it will be circulated to GGHPC members.

Subcommittee Reports

Land Use.

Baldwin voiced concern about the persistent rumor that the property at 811 25th Street (currently Gutierrez Auto Repair) is being offered for sale by the City, and that suggested use is a gas station or another auto repair facility. Originally the City acquired the land for use as a community center. Glazebrook said Land Use Subcommittee had pointed out that zoning does not allow a gas station there.

Glazebrook asked that the minutes of the 7/28 land use committee be approved.

Airport Noise. Residents of the 23rd & E Street area were present and voiced their concern about noise from helicopters and airplanes with banners. Caffey noted that the helicopters are likely air ambulances headed for Balboa Hospital and they are not regulated. Shields suggested that the residents contact Congresswoman Davis office, as she is on the Military Affairs Committee.

The next meeting will be September 8, 2010.

Meeting adjourned by Chair Shields at 8:34 pm.

Marie Skillman.


Attachment 1. Meeting Agenda


REVISED August 11, 2010 at 6:30 P.M.

Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Monthly Meeting

6:30 CALL TO ORDER – please be punctual

1. Additions/Deletions to Agenda

2. Approval of Minutes

3. Treasurers Report & Pass-the-Hat – Carole Caffey


a) Community Police Officer – Suzy de la Pena [744.9514 or


b) Council District 3 – Anthony Bernal [236-6633 or


c) Council District 8 – Diana JuradoSainz [236-6688 or


d) Mayor’s Office – Denice Garcia [236-7056 or


e) 53rd Congressional Dist. – Katherine Fortner [280-5353


f) City Planner – Bernard Turgeon [533-6575 or


7:15 PUBLIC COMMENT – non-agenda items, 3-minute limit

7:25 CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda allows the Committee to consent to the actions of Subcommittees in a single vote without presentation or debate. See Subcommittee Meeting Minutes for details. Anyone may request a Consent Agenda item be pulled for discussion.

a. None


a) Chair’s Report

b) Water Purification Demonstration Project

c) South Park Business Group, Community Plan Update Sub-Committee - Matt Thomas



a) Airport Noise – Carole Caffey

b) Balboa Park Committee – Scott Glazebrook

c) Community Planners Committee (CPC) – Pat Shields

d) Community Plan Update Advisory Committee (CPUAC) – Bernard Turgeon

e) Code Compliance – Ruchell Alvarez

f) Clean, Green & Safe (MAD) Advisory Board – Carole Caffey

g) Historic – Angela Vasconcellos

h) Membership and Elections – Angela Vasconcellos

i) Parks – Maureen Burke

j) Transportation – Scott Glazebrook


*Times are estimates – Action Items may also be taken before Information Items

The City of San Diego distributes agendas via email and can also provide agendas in alternative formats as well as a sign language or oral interpreter for the meeting with advance notice. To request these services, please contact the City at 619-236-6479 or



Regular Meeting Schedules

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

Monthly*: Second Wednesday of the Month at 6:30PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Code Compliance Subcommittee

Monthly*: Second-to-Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:00PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Land-Use Subcommittee

Monthly*: Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:30PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Transportation Subcommittee

Monthly*: Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:00PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

* Traditionally there are no meetings in the month of December

Proposed Agenda Topics for Next Meetings

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

Items: None

Code Compliance Subcommittee

Items: None

Land-Use Subcommittee


Transportation Subcommittee

Items: None