Thursday, August 12, 2010

July 14, 2010 Minutes


July 14, 2010

Amended September 8, 2010 to include Attachment 1, Meeting Agenda

Meeting Agenda including detailed Consent Agenda is found in Attachment 1 at the end of these minutes.

Meeting was held at Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse – Golf Course Drive. Called to order at 6:35 pm by Chair Pat Shields. Agenda had been posted in accordance with Brown Act. A quorum of members was present. Representatives of the two land use projects on the Consent Agenda had been present at 6:15, with information and to answer questions about the projects.

Members present:, Maureen Burke, , Scott Glazebrook, John Kroll, Anita Margolis (briefly), Jessica Richter, Pat Shields, David Skillman, Marie Skillman, David Strickland, Angela Vasconcellos Members absent: Ruchell Alvarez, Richard Baldwin, Carole Caffey, Richard Santini

Addition/deletions to Agenda. San Diego County Treasurer-Tax Collector Dan McAllister was present and asked to speak to the Committee about county property tax billings. Since there was a lengthy agenda, Shields asked that he be allowed to speak first. McAllister noted that the format of the billings has been changed in the past few years to make them easier to understand. 97% of all bills are collected, they are working to make that 100%. 216,000 people got their bills lowered through the appeal process last year. He believes that although lower home prices in downtown have reduced revenue, they should rebound. The California CPI, which is the basis of tax collections, is now negative, which should result in lower assessments on the bills that will come out in September. Refunds due to property owners are processed as soon as possible. $7-8 million in refunds have not been processed due to unlocated owners; these often result from taxpayers not notifying the tax collector of a change of address, or just miscommunication. A notebook listing these unprocessed refunds was circulated. McAllister noted that his office manages $6.5 billion, which is invested with various financial institutions. At least $100 million has been invested in 14 local banks for local reinvestment. For details, contact Kroll asked why the redesigned bill displayed the Treasurer-Tax Collectors name so prominently.

Approval of Minutes: Approved minutes of 6/9/10 meeting. (Motion D Skillman, second Vasconcellos, all in favor)

Treasurer’s Report: Caffey was not present – presume no change – around $75.


Community Police Officer- Suzy de la Pena: police report is nice and quiet. John Graham is now at Eastern Division. Asked that we be observant in light of a home break-in at 26th & C, where a rock was thrown through a window and a black man (17-25 years of age, 6 ft. tall, wearing a gold hoodie, driving a white 4-door car) went in and stole a laptop computer. At a nearby location a man with the same description punched a victim. Burke mentioned a break-in at 25th & K, de la Pena noted there had been several in the area. Captain’s meeting is July 27, 5:30 pm, 25th & Imperial.

City Council District 3 - Anthony Bernal: Congratulated Scott Glazebrook on his appointment to the Balboa Park Committee. Councilman Gloria will host a meeting about city revenue on July 15, 6-8 pm at City Heights Library. Community coffee will be on August 14, 11am, at Grants Marketplace. Distributed the District 3 newsletter.

City Council District 8 – Diana Jurado-Sainz: Announced that the City Council approval of budgets for Maintenance Assessment Districts is on the agenda for July 20 at 2 pm. Councilman Hueso’s office is working with Code Compliance on complaints about RV’s parking and staying. Asked that these be reported as soon as they park (make, model, license number) so vehicles can be marked. Vasconcellos asked if sleeping in these parked vehicles is permitted. It is not, but police staffing levels do not always allow them to respond to complaints at night. Further questions were raised about Code Compliance: Burke asked whether it is legal to distribute paper signs and leaflets. Shields mentioned a multi-unit court at 2950 B Street, where it was reported that electricity was being supplied to units by extension cords.

Mayor’s Office – no representative present.

53rd Congressional District – Kathryn Fortner. Distributed the July Davis Dispatch and highlighted Davis’ voting on the Wall Street Reform Act, upcoming events, website and mailer. Davis is co-sponsor of West Coast Protection Act. Passport fees have increased to $140 for adults. Healthcare reform provides rebates for drug costs in the “donut hole” – one-time checks are now being issued.


Jerry Ray: reported that her trashcans are being hit or moved by people parking in front of her home at 1513 Dale when they are going to restaurants or taverns in the area. She said brought this to the attention of business owners through the South Park Business Group and got some relief, but twice in the past month her cans have been moved to block her driveway. She takes pictures of cars and license plates and gives them to the police. D Skillman asked what whether, when this happens, she could call the restaurants nearby and ask those proprietors to make an announcement?

Marie Skillman: Read a letter (Attachment A) from GGHPC, thanking Laurie Burgett for her service, and circulated it for members to sign.

CONSENT AGENDA: Meeting Agenda including detailed Consent Agenda is found in Attachment 1 at the end of these minutes.

Kroll asked that Item (a)Terris Residence Addition be pulled for discussion.

Glazebrook moved, Strickland seconded, that the Consent Agenda be approved, minus the Terris item; 9 in favor.

Homeowner and architect were present to answer questions regarding the Terris Residence Addition. Strickland asked about visibility from the right of way of the new, modern addition. Will there be a fence? Homeowner expects that there will continue to be a fence, color undecided as yet but probably on the darker side. Kroll expressed concern about the stylistic integrity of the addition, which is totally different from the current homes. Homeowner noted that a 6-ft. fence is proposed, and that the 2-story addition has be lowered to align with the existing addition. Height is 15 ft. There is a olive tree as well as the fence, and a 42-ft setback from the sidewalk. D Skillman moved, Burke seconded, that we approve this item. 8 in favor, 1 abstained.


SDG&E Smart Meter Installation.

April Wildow from SDG&E explained that San Diego is entering a transitional era with regard to equipment and infrastructure for energy. The goal is to make more energy information available at our fingertips. 1.4 million electric meters and 850,000 gas meters will be installed. Examples of the old and new electric meters were shown. Wildow noted that new “Smart Meters” help consumers and the utilities pinpoint problems. She said they expect a 5-10% reduction in electric usage where these Smart Meters are installed. Several incentive programs will be introduced. The meters automatically read hourly, instead of the monthly manual read now done by SDGE staff. She said the meter reader staff will be retrained once the installations are complete.

Smart Meters are coming to Greater Golden Hill very soon. An interactive page showing the proposed dates can be found at Consumers will experience a 5-15 minute power outage when the electric meter is being installed. A letter will be sent to each user in advance of the meter change, with information about how to reschedule if there are extenuating circumstances. With the gas meter installations there will be no outage during the conversion. Once a new meter is installed, there will be a 7-day comparison done with prior usage, as a way to be sure it is working properly. Wildow stressed that installers DO NOT need to enter your home to do their installation. Installers will have appropriate identification; if you are concerned, you can call SDG&E.

D Skillman asked if the new meters would enable SDG&E to buy back excess power from people with residential solar installations. SDG&E is already doing that. D Skillman asked what had been done about reported hacking into the systems. SDG&E is working hard to provide cyber security, and is working with groups across the country on this issue. SDG&E is a leader in this program. M Skillman asked if the gas and electric meters would be installed at the same time. In some cases, they will, but not always. M Skillman asked if the 7-day comparison would be between the traditional meter and the new meter at each location. That is not the way it will work. SDG&E will compare data from the new meter with historical data for each address. Kroll asked about the timeframe for variable pricing. SDG&E hopes to begin that in 2013 – they have just begun the PUC process. Jerry Ray asked if the gas meter installation would cause the pilot light to go out. It will not, since the gas meter is not being replaced, only being updated with extra collection equipment.

CPUAC/ City Planner’s Report - Bernie Turgeon:

(1) GGHPC proposal to City for Community Mailing to Enhance Community Participation. Turgeon reported that there are 7,300 units and the cost for a 8.5 x 11 tri-fold multi-color mailer would be $4,155. Black & white would cost about half as much, a postcard even less. Doorhangers are not cheaper, unless there is volunteer labor to distribute them.

Turgeon said the City has budget $1.75 million for the 3 community plan updates. He said zero-based budgeting is wreaking havoc on these multi-year projects, and they have had to reduce the budget by $200,000. Turgeon has requested that there be a mailing to GGH but there is a question of equity with the other 2 communities.

Shields wondered why this is such a big deal, noting that it is now too late to send out anything referring to the July 29 cluster meeting. Turgeon said he understood that the mailing was to target attendance at the Charette. He said most of the budget for CPUAC is for contractors, thus funds for this mailing would have to come from a limited amount not already contracted.

The next step is to find funds in the budget for this, and GGHPC needs to decide exactly what we want on the flyer. Shields wants the whole CPU process to be explained, with dates. Glazebrook clarified that Turgeon had copies of the materials that were used for outreach to the 25th Street businesses, which could be used as a starting point. Turgeon will forward that to the GGHPC membership. The subcommittee working on this (Shields, Kroll and D Skillman) will meet with Turgeon before the next GGHPC meeting.

(2) The 25th Street Renaissance Project, funded by a SANDAG grant, is now kicking off. Staff met with consultants during the past week. The streets will be the first step to be formalized, and will need a GGHPC decision by November.

(3) The City’s manual for Community Plan Updates is now available online.

(4) Dates for upcoming CPUAC events, all to be held at Santa Fe Room at 6 pm:

7/28 Mobility (cluster meeting) 7/19, 8/2, 8/23 Open Mic sessions

D Skillman said he is concerned that too much emphasis is being put on the Charette, since it is likely that many community members participating will not be up to speed on what has been presented and discussed at previous meetings. Turgeon said he wanted to work our CPUAC about the content of the Charette. D Skillman reported that the South Park Business Group has been doing a lot of work about what they want to see in the CP. Shields will contact them to present at a future GGHPC meeting. M Skillman asked if there was a firm date for the Charette. Turgeon said that there is not, they are having issues with scheduling at locations in GGH; likely locations are schools and those offices are closed right now. Current thinking is for the Charette to be a series of 3 meetings (probably Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday) and that GGH’s would happen after North Park’s.

Subcommittee Reports

Land Use. Nothing for August agenda at this time.

Chair: Has been receiving requests from organizations wanting to make informational presentations at GGHPC meetings. She wondered how the members feel about these. M Skillman suggested that such requests be brought to full committee, and that the presentations be scheduled if GGHPC approves.

The next meeting will be August 11, 2010.

Meeting adjourned by Chair Shields at 8:34 pm.

Marie Skillman.


Attachment 1. Meeting Agenda


July 14, 2010 at 6:30 P.M.

Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Monthly Meeting

6:30 CALL TO ORDER – please be punctual

a) Additions/Deletions to Agenda

b) Approval of Minutes

c) Treasurers Report & Pass-the-Hat – Carole Caffey


a) Community Police Officer – John Graham [685-8206 or]

b) Council District 3 – Anthony Bernal [236-6633 or]

c) Council District 8 – Diana JuradoSainz [236-6688 or]

d) Mayor’s Office – Denice Garcia [236-7056 or]

e) 53rd Congressional Dist. – Katherine Fortner [280-5353]

f) City Planner – Bernard Turgeon [533-6575 or]

7:15 PUBLIC COMMENT – non-agenda items, 3-minute limit

7:25 CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda allows the Committee to consent to the actions of Subcommittees in a single vote without presentation or debate. See Subcommittee Meeting Minutes for details. Anyone may request a Consent Agenda item be pulled for discussion.

a. Terris Residence Addition Address: 850 22nd Street Project Number: None (presubmittal) Project Description: Addition of master bedroom, office, and utility room to existing residence Permit Application: Process 1 Ministerial Building Permit (pre-submittal) Deviations Requested: None Motion: Support project as proposed with Letter of Support to City Staff (see Land-use Subcommittee Meeting Minutes for May 26 2010 for details of discussion). Vote: For: 2 Against: 0 Abstain: 0 Result: Motion Passes

b. Big Blue Box Lofts Address: 3363 C Street Project Number: 210778 Project Description: Construct 4 residential for rent units on a vacant 0.16 acre site in the GH-1500 zone of the Greater Golden Hill Planned District. Permit Application: Process 3 Golden Hill Development Permit (SDP) Deviations Requested: More that 2 types of wall siding materials [SDMC 158.0301(c)(1)(C)] Motion: Recommend approval of the project as submitted, presented, and discussed with the requested deviation and forwarding of this recommendation to the full committee (see Land-use Subcommittee Meeting Minutes for June 30 2010 for details of discussion) Vote: For: 6 Against: 1 Abstain: 0 Result: Motion Passes


a) Chair’s Report

b) SDG&E Smart Meter Installation. Risa Baron



a) Airport Noise – Carole Caffey

b) Balboa Park Committee – Scott Glazebrook

c) Community Planners Committee (CPC) – Pat Shields

d) Community Plan Update Advisory Committee (CPUAC) – Bernard Turgeon

e) Code Compliance – Ruchell Alvarez

f) Clean, Green & Safe (MAD) Advisory Board – Carole Caffey

g) Historic – Angela Vasconcellos

h) Membership and Elections – Angela Vasconcellos

i) Parks – Maureen Burke

j) Transportation – Scott Glazebrook


*Times are estimates – Action Items may also be taken before Information Items

The City of San Diego distributes agendas via email and can also provide agendas in alternative formats as well as a sign language or oral interpreter for the meeting with advance notice. To request these services, please contact the City at 619-236-6479 or


Regular Meeting Schedules

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

Monthly*: Second Wednesday of the Month at 6:30PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Code Compliance Subcommittee

Monthly*: Second-to-Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:00PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Land-Use Subcommittee

Monthly*: Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:30PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

Transportation Subcommittee

Monthly*: Last Wednesday of the Month at 6:00PM

Location: Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse at 2600 Golf Course Drive

* Traditionally there are no meetings in the month of December

Proposed Agenda Topics for Next Meetings

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

Items: None

Code Compliance Subcommittee

Items: None

Land-Use Subcommittee


Transportation Subcommittee

Items: None

Attachment A. Letter to Laurie Burgett

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee

Golf Course Drive

San Diego, California 92102

July 14, 2010

Laurie Burgett

1911 Granada Avenue

San Diego, California 92102

Dear Laurie,

We want to take this opportunity to thank you for your time and dedication to the Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee.

Your many years of experience, knowledge of how the system works, and great insight have been a valuable resource for all of us. Your additional service to the City of San Diego as a member of the Balboa Park Committee has given GGHPC tremendous additional awareness of Park matters.

We will miss your participation on our committee, especially your reminders about our statutory purpose and authority. We count ourselves fortunate to have you as part of our neighborhood community.

Best wishes, and we hope to see you around GGH.

Attachment B. Land Use Subommittee Minutes from June 30, 2010.

Published separately on this blog site.