Monday, March 27, 2006

Land Use Subcommittee Agenda for April 5, 2006

  1. 2629 B ST. #96513
    7unit TM, .161ac site (GH1500), requesting underground utilities waiver- action item

  2. 3101 Juniper. #93090
    8unit TM, .218ac site (GH#3000), " undergrounding waiver, 13 spaces-16 required, originally built with affordable housing density bonus-3 units now allowed on site. action item

  3. 2002 30th St. #87794
    2835sf comml + 8 row homes + 2 condos on 15ksf site (GH-CC {GH1500}).
    Deviations requested:

    1. Bldg height-33'8" where 30' permitted
    2. Residential rear yard setback-10'2" where 15' required
    3. Driveway openings-Two, where one is permitted (access for 1 space)
    4. Curb length-26' where 45' required (parking access)
    5. Parking-1 space located in interior side yard on Grape st., where none allowed

Additional info:
Requesting waiver of undergrounded utilities requirement
No cycle issue sheets received-have CPC part 1+2
*action item-but cannot address full cycle issues without city printout.

Friday, March 10, 2006

February 2006 Minutes for the full planning committee

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee
Meeting of February 8, 2006

Obtain agenda at

CALL TO ORDER: 6:35 pm

Members Present: Chris Blatt, Paul Broadway, Laurie Burgett, Carole Caffey, David Caldwell, Beverly Davis, Tim Doyle, Scott Glazebrook, Marc Kratzschmar, Rob Leach, Brad Lenahan, John McWilliams, Todd Phillips, Bonnie Poppe, Chair: Pat Shields, Steve Stratman.


Request Additions/Deletions to the Agenda –
  • None.

Mail –

Treasurers Report: Carole Caffey
  • $273.90

Community Police Officer, Gary Gonzales (531-1572)
  • A new taskforce has been created to deal with community issues. is the website for more information.

  • In April Sgt. Tai will be on our agenda.

  • The homeless issue is being monitored. 25th & Broadway benches will be removed but suggestions are needed as to where they should be placed.

  • Crime statistics were not handed out, rather it was suggested that people go to the website to check their specific area.

  • Lea Fields, from the Prosecutor’s office, was present. Call her at 619-533-5500 to report homeless problems.

District 3 –April Chesebro (236-7758)
  • Toni Times newsletter was distributed.

  • No major updates

District 8 – Diana Jurado-Sainz (236-6688)
  • SDG&E Tree Report – Speaker from SDG&E spoke on this issue. Residents were notified about 6,000 trees being trimmed. 130 trees have been removed. Community members complained about trees being cut down and not receiving notification. A suggestion was made to have SDG&E come to a GGHPC meeting prior to their seasonal trimming. Ms. Jurado-Sainz was asked to follow up with SDG&E regarding replanting and repairing to check to insure that arborists are present on every site. An arborist spoke about his working with homeowners regarding trees that were causing a problem and the necessity of removing them. Tree Smart Program is in place to replace trees. A community member suggested that people write to their legislators about the need to save canyons and trees. A comment was made that undergrounding wires would solve this problem. It was also suggested that asking your council member to prioritize the undergrounding, taking the trees into consideration. Ms. Jurado-Sainz will bring the 32nd Street undergrounding schedule to the next GGHPC meeting. Both SDG&E and Ms. Jurado-Sainz will appear before the GGHPC in April. SSDG&E tree trimming work in our area is finished for this season.

Mayor Sanders Representative – no representation

76th Assembly Dist – Sari Hamerling (645-3090)
  • Distributed Newsletter

53rd Congressional District – Katherine Fortner (280-5353)
  • Ms. Fortner will pass along the community concern about the trees.

  • Distributed Newsletter

City Planner’s Report – Myles Pomeroy (235-5219)
  • The By-laws need to be updated. Chair Pat Shields will prepare a draft and Rob Leach will review it.

  • Myles Pomeroy suggested that members re-attend a C.O.W. that is being held on April 29th from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.

  • Betsy McCullough will be Acting Planning Director until the Mayor names a permanent Director.

Approval of Minutes: January, 2006
  • The January minutes have not been transcribed. They will be prepared for approval at the March meeting.

PUBLIC COMMENT (non-agenda items)
  • A community member announced that there is a “Conserve A Tree” program.

  • Bonnie Poppe announced the Save Our Heritage craft sale on March 11, 12 and 13th. Contact for more information.

  • Kathryn Willitt will notify this committee regarding plans for 25th Street.

  • Mary McClellan, Resource Director at CDC is raising money and wants to know what our priorities are.

  • Shiela Harden, CDC will refer the homeless situation to Ms. Graham. On Monday, Feb. 27th at 5:30 p.m. a meeting will be held at the Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse meeting room. Jennifer LeSar is the Chair of the Board of Directors and will attend. Ms. Harden distributed a “Downtown Community Plan”. It was suggested that the GGHPC invite the Police representative plus our District representatives.

Land Use: (Items from 2-1-06 meeting. Consent Agenda unless pulled for discussion.) Unanimously approved.
  1. 1018 22nd Street –add 1692 sf SFR to 5000 sf lot with existing 2108 sf SFR. Requesting SDP, plus 5’ encroachment of 3rd floor setback, and increase in FAR from .45 to .75 per historic footnote. Previously presented to GGHPC/LU. (Action)

  1. 3025 Fir Street – Cingular Christ United – wireless communication facility added to existing church structure. Review cycle/issues from City, review letter from LU to DSD. (Action)
2404 C Street – Condo unit without enough parking. Dave Caldwell stated that the Land Use Committee did not approve this deviation. It is their position that they must meet city requirements. Myles Pomeroy stated that the city does not have the authority to require people to meet current standards if the unit was built before the present standards were created.

Vacant Property Update – no comment

Nancy Graham – CCDC - absent

Captain C. Bell - absent

Starbucks Sign – Kathryn Willett
Wall signs are not supposed to be above 12 feet from the ground. Starbucks is requesting a variance to allow the sign to be 14 feet above ground. After the applicant’s presentation, public comment and discussion, the GGHPC supports the applicant’s request for variance as to the proposed sign’s height. In supporting the variance the GGHPC notes the following significant facts:
  1. The applicant cooperated with the Land Use sub-committee in developing a sign consistent with the spirit of the community plan.

  2. The height of the sign while exceeding the height limit, is sufficiently proportionate to the height of the building.

  3. the historical nature of the building’s architecture, which the GGHPC supports and encourages, is such that the sign must be placed in a location exceeding the height limit

A vote was taken and was 15 in favor and 1 opposed.


  • Elections will be held in March. The following seats will be available:Carol Caffey, Brad Lenahan, John McWilliams, Pat Shields, Steve Stratman, Laurie Burgett, Bonnie Poppe, Beverly Davis. Steve asked to be excused from the details of the election since he will be running for reelection. He also asked that members who will not be running for another term notify him as soon as possible.

  • A motion was made to put the election at the beginning of the March meeting. Fourteen voted in favor, 1 abstained and 1 opposed.

PARKS – Paul Broadway –Report of sub-committee meeting of 1-4-06
  • No report

CODE COMPLIANCE – Chris Blatt Report of sub-committee meeting of 1-4-06
  • No report

LAND-USE – Dave Caldwell Report of sub-committee meeting of 1-4-06
  • No report

TRANSPORTATION/COMPACT – Marc Kratzshmar – Paul Broadway
  • No report

  • A Parking & Circulation Plan is available. Contact Laurie for details.

  • A South Park resident has challenged the Airport Permit.

HISTORIC – Bonnie Poppe
  • No report except to note that there is no funding available for this issue.

CPC MEETING – Patricia Shields – Alternate: Chris Blatt
Community Planners Committee (CPC) City of San Diego
  • The next meeting will be February 17th, 2006

AGENDA ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING – March 8, 2006 Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse.
  • Nothing submitted

  • ADJOURNED: 9:10 p.m.

January 2006 Minutes for the full planning committee

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee
Meeting of January 11, 2006

Obtain agenda at

CALL TO ORDER: 6:35 pm

Members Present: Chris Blatt, Paul Broadway, David Caldwell, Tim Doyle, Scott Glazebrook, Rob Leach, Brad Lenahan, John McWilliams, Bonnie Poppe, Chair: Pat Shields, Steve Stratman.

Absent: Laurie Burgett, Carole Caffey, Beverly Davis, Marc Kratzschmar, Todd Phillips

Request Additions/Deletions to the Agenda –
  • John McWilliams reported that the 30th Street undergrounding project had been put on hold per a recent decision by the PUC.

  • Pat Shields stressed the importance of the ongoing General Plan update – particularly with regard to Land Use issues – and urged members to be diligent.  Copies of drafts will be distributed for review.
Mail –
  • SANDAG mailer advises on recent Board actions.

  • The Friends of Downtown group is hosting Nancy Graham, new President of the CCDC, a networking luncheon January 19th.

  • A form letter from City Attorney Mike Aguirre to Community Planning Groups advises that we need to improve our PDO.  Shields and Pomeroy to pursue clarification.

  • Paul Broadway to review the Traffic Engineering report received covering the last half of 2005.

Treasurers Report: Carole Caffey
  • Absent.

Community Police Officer, Gary Gonzales (531-1572)
  • Officer Gonzales detailed the fatal alley stabbing at 24th & F and gang activity south of Golden Hill.

  • The department sees a decrease in area homeless activity, but Bonnie Poppe sees an increase in Golden Hill.

  • Lea Field is the DA’s representative on this issue and will be invited to the February meeting.  Officer Gonzales advised the group to always call the PD on homeless issues.

District 3 –April Chesebro (236-7758)  
  • Toni Times newsletter was distributed.

  • Tree trimming activity though February.  Call the office if trees are missed.

District 8 – A Lawson (236-6688)
  • Absent
Mayor Sanders Representative – none

76th Assembly Dist – Sari Hamerling (645-3090)
  • Absent

53rd Congressional District – Katherine Fortner (280-5353)
  • Affordable housing trust fund legislation information emphasized in lSusan Davis’ newsletter, which was distributed.

Approval of Minutes: November 2005
  • Approved with one abstention.

  • Sheila Harden to contact new CDC management to discuss homeless migration issues from downtown.  She stressed that the goal of the CDC is to be “good neighbors” to surrounding communities.

  • Paul Broadway urged that before SRO’s are shut down, provision should be made for the evictees.

  • Scott Glazebrook requested CDC address Petco game day overflow parking impact beyond the immediate vicinity of the event.

  • Pat Shields suggested CDC should “share the wealth” earmarking funds for improvements outside it’s immediate area when CDC’s actions impact bordering communities.  Other members had ideas for “sharing” including supplementing missing revenues to update community plans.

  • Information regarding the 8th Annual Multicultural Festival was distributed.

City Planner’s Report  – Myles Pomeroy (235-5219)
  • Myles Pomeroy reported that the May-June target for the General Plan update appeared feasible – no money is visible for updating community plans at this time.

  • Per Council Resolution 600-24, now in effect, all planning groups are required to update their bylaws to comply.  Pat Shields to pursue per an available template.  Issue to be agendized.

  • Upcoming training workshops: SEQUA review – advanced, Jan. 26; Condo conversion process update, February 28. Reservations required. 619-235-5206.
GGHPC Elections.  Steve Stratman
  • Steve Stratman stated that the Monthly Courier – a monthly newspaper – would now be used as a vehicle for communications to comply with the Brown Act.  In addition the Golden Hill CDC agreed to place an article in the March e-mailed newsletter.  Upcoming membership elections potentially involve 8 existing members, two of which are termed-out.  Should they choose to run, special requirements would apply.

Greater Golden Hill CDC. Kristie Rice/Mary McLellen
  • Kristie Rice requested regular updating of the various planning forum dates and agendas.  The GGHCDC is in the process of reviewing and updating its goals with a new leadership team.  Participation in the Pedestrian Master Plan proceedings and publication of a local business directory are in the works – the directory release date scheduled for March.

  • Procedural issues about meeting noticing and the Brown Act were once again discussed at the urging of a community member.  A more detailed noticing of consent agenda items on the Land Use Subcommittee elicited a favorable response.

  • Golden Hill Elementary School.  Issue Identification.  The new Golden Hill Elementary School opening is eminent – the status of the proposed joint use playground is still undetermined, but the site presently does not include that development according to John McWilliams.

Land Use: (Items from 1-4-06 meeting.  Consent Agenda unless pulled for discussion.) Approved 10 – Abstained 1

  1. 2775 A Street – Condo conversion.  Action

  2. 2652 E Street – add 3rd SFR to existing lot w/2 SFRs @2648/50.  Action

  3. 3265 C Street – 62 unit condo/TM. Project 79596. Parking/undergrounding issues. Action.

  4. 331 Date Street – Condo conversion.  Action


MEMBERSHIP  & ELECTIONS – Steve Stratman –
  • Refer to “Information Items”

PARKS – Paul Broadway –Report of sub-committee meeting of 1-4-06
  • Paul Broadway announced his election as Chair of the Recreational Facility.

CODE COMPLIANCE – Chris Blatt Report of sub-committee meeting of 1-4-06
  • No January meeting

LAND-USE – Dave Caldwell Report of sub-committee meeting of 1-4-06
  • Refer to “Action Items”

TRANSPORTATION/COMPACT – Marc Kratzshmar – Paul Broadway
  • No report

  • Absent

  • The committee is reviewing airport use curfew fines.

HISTORIC – Bonnie Poppe
  • No update

CPC MEETING  – Patricia Shields – Alternate: Chris Blatt
Community Planners Committee (CPC) City of San Diego
  • See “Chair’s comments”

AGENDA ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING – February 8, 2006 Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse.
  • Presentation on Starbucks signage proposal.

  • ADJOURNED: 9:10 p.m.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Revised Agenda for March 8 Full Planning Committee

Revised Final Agenda.  Wednesday, March 8, 2006.  6:30 P.M.***

6:30     CALL TO ORDER   (please be punctual)
  • Additions/Deletions to the Agenda
6:40       Election  - Steve Stratman
7:00     Treasurers Report and PASS THE HAT: Carole Caffey
7:15      Community Police-Officer Gary Gonzales           (531-1572)
7:20      District 3- April Chesebro                    (236-7758)   
7:25     District 8-  Diana Jurado-Sainz/Ben Heuso          (236-6688)
7:30      Mayor’s Representative:
7:35     76th Assembly Dist.-Sari Hamerling          (645-3090)     
7:40      53rd Congressional Dist. – Katherine Fortner      (280-5353)
7:45      City Planner’s Report.  Myles Pomeroy.            (235-5219)      
7:50     APPROVAL OF MINUTES:      January 2006 and February 2006

7:55 PUBLIC COMMENT (non-agenda items).  Limited to 3 Minutes.

  • Chair’s Report.  Mail.  

  • Land Use.  (Consent Agenda)
1. 1148 23rd St. - Add 1br/1ba 1137sf house/shop to 5ksf lot, GH2500, existing garage demo.
  • No Action until City Review is generated

2. 1231 25th St. - project 89384 - 25unit TM/condo, 17502sf site, GH2500. Issues: parking, utilities.
   (action item)
  • Project denied based on parking issues, under grounding of utilities and non-compliance with 25th street re-vitalization project

3. 3031 Date St. - project 89194 - 3unit TM/condo, 6005sf site, GH1500. Issues: parking, utilities.
   (action item)
  • Project approved. One parking spot short.

4. 1217 28th St. - project 66452 - 10unit TM/condo, previous GGHPC submittal 5/05, Issues: parking, utilities.
   (action item)
  • Project was approved in a previous vote. Refer to previous letter. No new vote.

  • GGH CDC Proposed Banner District Presentation.

  • Election Results


8:25    PARKS- Paul Broadway First Wed of the Month.   Balboa Park Golf-Course Clubhouse-6:00 PM
8:27    Code Compliance: Chris Blatt-
8:30    LAND USE- Dave Caldwell First Wed. of the Month.  Balboa Park Golf-Course Clubhouse-6:30 PM
8:40    Transportation/Compact- Marc Kratzschmar –Paul Broadway
8:44    Balboa Park Committee- Laurie Burgett
8:46    Airport Noise Advisory- Dave Caldwell
8:48    Historic- Bonnie Poppe
8:52   CPC -Pat Shields - Community Planners Committee (CPC) | City of San Diego

If you would like for the city to provide you with upcoming agendas, please call 619.236.6479 and request to be added to the Mailing List for Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee
Updated agendas can be accessed 72-hours prior to the meeting by visiting our web site provided by the Golden Hill Community Development Corporation
Excused absences:

***This information is available in alternative formats upon request.  To request an agenda in Braille, large print or cassette, or to request a sign language or oral interpreter for the meeting, call 619-236-6479.  24-hours prior to the meeting to ensure availability.