Saturday, May 06, 2006

March 2006 Minutes for the full planning committee

Greater Golden Hill Planning Committee
Meeting of March 8, 2006
Approved Minutes
Obtain agenda at

CALL TO ORDER: 6:35 pm

Members Present: Chris Blatt, Paul Broadway, Laurie Burgett, Carole Caffey, David Caldwell, Beverly Davis, Scott Glazebrook, Marc Kratzschmar, Rob Leach, Brad Lenahan, John McWilliams, Todd Phillips, Bonnie Poppe, Chair: Pat Shields, Steve Stratman.

Absent: Tim Doyle

Request Additions/Deletions to the Agenda –
  • Steve Stratman-chair of memberships and elections requested that the minutes reflect that Bonnie Poppe and Laurie Burgett were running the elections, as Steve felt it improper for him to run elections when he was on the ballot.

  • Committee member and Chair of the Parks subcommittee, Paul Broadway announced his resignation from the GGHPC, effective at the conclusion of the March 8th meeting. A motion was made and unanimously approved to thank Paul for his past service on the Committee.

  • ELECTION: The following people ran for election and made the following statements:
  1. Richard Baldwin – Is a scientist and works for not-for-profit organizations. He has little experience with community groups.

  2. Richard Barerra – Lives on Granada. Is a community organizer and works with labor organizations to help diversity.

  3. Maureen Burke – Has been in Golden Hill for 7 years. Works as a buyer. Her apartment is being converted and she supports it.

  4. Carole Caffey – Has lived 6 years in this area. She is interested in serving the community, canyon clean-up and meeting neighbors.

  5. Brad Lenahan – Seven years in Golden Hill. He is a Landscape Architect. Brad has learned a lot having been on this committee.

  6. John McWilliams (Mac) – Has an inspection business. Belongs to Heritage group and works on Land Use subcommittee.

  7. Pat Shields – Retired county worker and now works for the state. Five years in Golden Hill and on the Committee for 3 years. Wants to give community members a voice.

  8. Steve Stratman – Appointed in August 1999 to an unexpired term, and elected in 2000, 2002 and 2004, this would be his last term. Chair of membership and elections, and active in Land-Use sub-committees’, he wants to continue working for the community.
  • The PDO and other documents will have to be distributed to new members. Also a COW meeting will be required to indemnify members. Committee member, Dave Caldwell read the committee’s mission statement. A discussion will be held next month to discuss this in more detail.

  • The Chair thanked Bonnie Poppe and Laurie Burgett for their 8 years of service and for handling the election. Laurie will continue to report to the committee on the Balboa Park Committee until her appointment expires.

  • It was announced that all candidates had been elected and were invited to join the committee.

Treasurers Report: Carole Caffey
  • $273.90

  • Carole wants to add people to the list of those approved to withdraw funds.

Community Police Officer, Gary Gonzales (531-1572)
  • Officer Gonzales thanked people for sending emails regarding what’s happening in the community. He gave Lea Fields a tour of this area. There are 4 officers plus Gary and 1 other downtown officer handling GGH issues. Officer Gonzales thanked Paul Broadway for his cooperation and help in the community.

  • Auto theft is still prevalent in our area.

District 3 –April Chesebro (236-7758)
  • Absent
District 8 – Diana Juarado-Sainz/Ben Heuso (236-6688)
  • Ben Heuso introduced himself. Mr. Heuso was recently elected and is looking at a lot of needs in our community; homelessness, crime, gangs. New revenue is being looked at for security, street cleaning, tourist information and other downtown needs. The Torrey Pines Golf Course master plan is also before the Council. Rate increases are being considered for the golf courses. Mr. Heuso wants fore input from the community as to what’s needed.

  • Potholes and other maintenance issues are being reported to his office.

  • Undergrounding is an issue brought up by Committee Member, Dave Caldwell. Mr. Heuso stated that the entire city would be undergrounded in 15 years. More information may be obtained from their website at

  • Committee Member, Brad Lenahan stated that the 32nd Street canyon-joint-use field is still a hot button with some community members. Mr. Heuso stated that Tershia d’Elgin has invested approx. $800,000 to restore the canyon. He will try to get the Council to support leaving the joint-use field out of consideration.

  • Diana Jurado-Sainz reported on the tree issue. This District office was not notified in advance of the tree trimming/cutting. The sizes of the replacement trees are under consideration. Ten or 15 trees on Broadway will be replaced. No more trees will be taken out until after April. If more than 20 trees are taken out of any one area the District is to be notified.

  • GGHPC member, Steve Stratman mentioned that the Palm fronds, from the trimming of the trees at Russ & 24th Streets, needed to be taken away. They are becoming refuge for vermin.
Mayor Sanders Representative –
  • No representation

76th Assembly District – Sari Hamerling (645-3090)
  • Absent

  • Committee member, Marc Kratzschmar announced that there will be a clean up at the 32nd Street canyon on Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m.

53rd Congressional District – Katherine Fortner (280-5353)
  • District newsletter was distributed. For information contact her office.

  • The revised Patriot Act passed.

  • The post office condition is being addressed at a meeting. Committee member, Paul Broadway stated that graffiti needs to be removed within 24 hours.

City Planner – Myles Pomeroy (235-5219)
  • Welcome remarks were directed to the new members.

  • The Planning Department website has the GGHPC by-laws and other documents, such as Administrative Guidelines, PDO, Design guidelines, 25th and 30th Street revitalization plans. Myles will send an email to committee members with a list.

  • The next COW (for new members) will be Saturday, April 29 at 9192 Topaz Way, Kearny Mesa. RSVP to 235-5200.

  • Myles submitted revised by-laws to Chair, Pat Shields..
Approval of Minutes
  • January and February, 2006 minutes approved by those eligible to vote.

PUBLIC COMMENT (Non-Agenda Items) Limited to 3 minutes.
  • Mary McLellan, GGHCDC, announced a public meeting on March 18 from 9:00 to 1:00. A handout with details was distributed.

  • Sheila Harden, CCDC, stated that there was good GGHPC representation at their last meeting. Affordable housing and other issues are under advisement.

  • A bus tour of downtown will be available with details to follow.

  • Sheila Harden asked for a roster of GGHPC members. A discussion was held as to the privacy of members. Ultimately a motion was made and unanimously passed to provide such a list to CCDC.

  • It was announced that the downtown community plan was adopted.

  • Eden Nguyen – Engineering Department – Capital Projects spoke on the revegatation project at the 32nd Street canyon. A map was distributed regarding a temporary fence located at Beech Street which denies access to the canyon. A sign is posted but should be more specific and give more details.

  • Chair’s Report – Pat Shields announced that she attended a meeting where the City Attorney was present and asked if land use issues are a problem. Pat will distribute his phone number. The meeting with CCDC went well and Nancy Graham appears to be helpful to GGHPC issues.

  • Mail - none


Land Use (Items from 3/1/06 meeting. Consent Agenda unless pulled for discussion)
  1. 1148 23rd Street – Add 1br/1ba 1137 sf house/shop to 5ksf lot, GH 2500, existing garage demo. (Action Item) Approved

  2. 1231 25th Street –project 89384 – 25 units TM/condo, 1750sf site, GH2500. Issues: parking, utilities. (Action Item) The subcommittee denied the application based on the fact that the project does not comply with the GGHPC Plan or the “25th Street Revitalization Plan”. Project did not address rectifying any of these inadequacies.

  3. 3031 Date Street – project 89194 – 3 unit TM/condo, 6005sf site, GH 1500. Issues: parking, utilities. (Action Item) Approved

  4. 1217 28th Street – project 66452 – 10 units TM/condo, previous GGHPC submittal 5/05, issues: parking, utilities. (Action Item) Approved
A motion was made to approve the Consent Agenda. 13 in favor, 1 opposed, 2 abstentions.

GGH-CDC Proposed Banner District Presentation
  • Mary McLellan, GHCDC distributed a handout showing the proposed phases and routes of the Banners. The first phase would follow the original trolley route. The 2nd phase would include 19th & Broadway, 19th and “C”, Broadway to Rt. 94 and 26th Street. For more information contact CDC. A motion was made and unanimously passed to support their efforts.

Election Results
  • The Chair thanked the Recording Secretary, Beverly Davis, for her past service.


PARKS – Paul Broadway –Report of sub-committee meeting of 3-1-06
  • No report

CODE COMPLIANCE – Chris Blatt Report of sub-committee meeting of 3-1-06
  • No report – information is confidential

LAND-USE – Dave Caldwell Report of sub-committee meeting of 3-1-06
  • No report

TRANSPORTATION/COMPACT – Marc Kratzshmar – Paul Broadway
  • No report

  • No report

  • No report

HISTORIC – Bonnie Poppe
  • No report

CPC MEETING – Patricia Shields – Alternate: Chris Blatt
Community Planners Committee (CPC) City of San Diego
  • The General Plan is finished and Pat will send out her notes. Pat asked Steve Stratman to go to Kinkos to have copies made and bound. Committee member, Paul Broadway suggested archiving documents. Ms. McLellan stated that CDC has archives and Christy Rice said that copying service would be available to Steve.

AGENDA ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING – April 12, 2006 Balboa Park Golf Course Clubhouse.
  • SDG& E tree replanting.

  • To Form the committee for the coming year: Steve Stratman-membership & elections.

  • ADJOURNED: 9:00 p.m.